Saturday, December 29, 2012

On Sonic Generations and nostalgia

Today I remembered that there was another game I wanted to try out, but couldn't run on my old machine: Sonic Generations. There's a demo. I downloaded it. I played the first level. It was Green Hill Zone.


I was expecting it to be awesome. A remixed version of a classic nostalgic Sonic level, complete with brand-new HD graphics? That should be amazing!

Except it wasn't.

It just wasn't. Something about it was... off. Maybe the controls weren't quite right. Maybe the level redesign wasn't up to par. I'm not sure. But whatever it was, it was, quite frankly, worse than the original. An imperfect copy.

At first this made me a little sad. I was hoping I could relive the old glory days of Sonic the Hedgehog. Then I thought: wait a minute. I can relive the old glory days of Sonic the Hedgehog. The old games are on Steam too. And they're all on sale.



Well, I guess that resolves the dilemma, doesn't it? I went ahead and bought Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic CD. I've never actually played those ones before, so they're as good as new to me! So now instead of derping around with Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic in Generations, I can enjoy Classic Sonic in Sonic CD and Modern Sonic in Sonic Adventure. Bada-bing, bada-boom!

No comments:

Post a Comment