Sunday, March 25, 2012

Indie Gala 3: The Quest for Value

It's no secret that I am a big fan of value. That's why I love indie game bundles. True, I already have lots of video games, and I haven't even played all of the ones I currently own. But the value! Think of the value!

But as great as it is to get value, it's dangerous to spend money on things just because they're on sale; it might turn out that you never use them at all. So for the newest Indie Gala bundle, I pledge here and now that I will play each of the games I've just bought for a minimum of one hour each, to see if they're any good. Heck, maybe I'll liveblog them too. Why not?

So what are these games that I've never heard of before I bought them? Uh...good question. I guess I'll take a look at their descriptions and jot down my first impressions.

Trapped Dead: This is some sort of zombie strategy game where you like, control survivors, and it's like a real-time tactical thing where you try and kill all the zombies, or something? Well, I dunno, it doesn't sound that great, and I'm not usually into RTS-type stuff, but I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out. Maybe it'll be fun. Maybe not. We'll see.



Greed: Black Border: This is a sci-fi- hack-'n-slash action game with RPG elements. I like the sound of that. I am a big fan of hack-'n-slash games with RPG elements. I loved X-Men Legends and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: The Game. Hopefully this has lots of fun hacking and slashing action with a satisfying level-up system. High hopes for this one.



Future Wars: This is another strategy game, but this time it's turn-based. It's a tactical thing, like Advance Wars or whatever. I don't play a lot of this type of game, but I have had some good experiences with turn-based tactical strategy games before. Shining Force is kind of like that, and I loved that one enough to play through it like five times! And I like Fire Emblem, although I never beat it. And I played a lot of the DS version of Age of Empires II and enjoyed that. So maybe I'll like this. It's certainly worth a shot.

Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes: This one is an RPG. I don't usually go for PC RPGs. They're better on handheld consoles, generally. That's why I never finished Cthulhu Saves the World. But I'll try this. It says this is a satirical RPG, which sounds good. I do like satire. And it's another tactical strategy combat system like Shining Force or Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics. Okay. It says you control a party of 10 anti-heroes. Based on the title, I guess that means you're playing as the bad guys? Cool, cool. Sounds promising enough. We'll see.

Twin Sector: Okay, so it's a first-person physics-based puzzle game where you have a red glove and a blue glove and you play as a woman in a futuristic abandoned science lab that's completely empty except for you and a computer voice who tells you what to do and...hey, wait a minute, this is just going to be a Portal knockoff, isn't it? Well, I guess there are worse games that you could rip off. But on the other hand, if you set yourself up next to Portal, you're gonna look bad in comparison. Well, I'll try it and see how it measures up, but...well, we'll see.


Five games. Five hours. Four dollars. It's time to see if it was worth the price.

...Well, okay, it's not time now, because I'm going to bed now. But soon. Soon.

Visit http://www.indiegala.com/ if you want to buy these for yourself, by the way. Proceeds go to charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment