Thursday, March 29, 2012

Oh man, these books are awesome

So I've been reading The Dresden Files and it's...well, it's great, is what it is. I love it.

If you haven't heard of it, The Dresden Files is a series of mystery thriller novels by Jim Butcher. Also, it's awesome. I'm just finishing up the third book and I have to force myself to put it down.

It's a lot like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, if Buffy were a private detective instead of a superhero. Or Angel, if Angel were a wizard instead of a vampire. In any case, it's got that urban fantasy/horror vibe, and it's fused with that good old "Tracer Bullet" detective noir, and the result is...well, I like it a lot. Anyone who likes Buffy will probably like The Dresden Files.

This, by the way, is yet another case of TV Tropes enhancing one's life. I kept seeing this series pop up on trope pages in my wiki browsing/editing and it seemed like an interesting read, so I picked up the first book to see what it was like. And now I am devouring them.

Most of the chapters end on a suspenseful note because, well, it's a mystery thriller novel, and that's what thriller novels do. I figure it's not really fair if I get to a cliffhanger and just bowl right through to the next chapter, so I'm trying to let it stew in between chapters. Right now I'm doing that by taking a break to write this thing I'm writing right now. My main strategy, though, is to switch between two books. I'm reading the Dexter series simultaneously. I finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter a little while ago and now I'm a quarter of the way through the second book, Dearly Devoted Dexter. It's okay, but it's also actual disturbing. I knew going in that I was going to be reading about brutal murders from the perspective of a sociopathic serial killer killer, but wow, it turns out there's some pretty sickening things in there. The sort of things that make you close the book for a second to take a couple deep breaths. But it is a page-turner, and I'm still reading it, after all. Not as awesome as Dresden, but, eh.

This, by the way, is one of the perks of reading on a Kindle. I can switch between them on the fly...wait, I feel like I already did this bit. Yeah, I did, didn't I. Exact same shpiel, about a month ago. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment