Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dungeon-crawling

I kept having this problem with Hack, Slash, Loot where I couldn't move or do anything. But then it somehow started working again so now I'm fine and I tried another quest!


Here's my Elf Archer, traipsing along through a dungeon looking for treasure and--


Dammit, I died. This is going to happen a lot, isn't it? Oh, you roguelikes and your "difficulty". Always with the dying and the game overs. 

Speaking of dungeon-crawling, I played Inferno+ today. It's not bad.


It fuses "dungeon-crawling RPG adventure" with "Geometry Wars-style twin-stick shooter". Instead of doing all your shoot-em-up stuff on a single fixed screen, you explore dungeons, collecting treasure and trying to find the exit. And you level up as you progress, unlocking new abilities with a Point Build System for upgrades. And every ten levels (I believe), there's a boss fight.


It's got solid enough gameplay and some colorful laser-light-show visuals, although I don't feel like it's knocking anything out of the park. Still, reasonably good value--it's a different take on the twin-stick shooter concept and it works okay.
  • Alien Zombie Megadeath
  • Astro Tripper
  • The Baconing
  • Ballistic
  • Beat Hazard
  • Defense Grid: The Awakening
  • Depths of Peril
  • Explodemon
  • FlatOut
  • Future Wars
  • Gear Grinder
  • Greed: Black Border
  • Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
  • Hack, Slash, Loot
  • Inferno+
  • Madballs in...Babo: Invasion
  • Plain Sight
  • Slydris
  • Sol Survivor
  • Tobe's Vertical Adventure
  • Trapped Dead
  • Twin Sector
  • Unstoppable Gorg
That makes 11/23 complete.

There's also a new Humble Indie Bundle out today, but I'm not really interested in this one. It only has three games. All of them are point-and-click adventure games, which, frankly, are pretty lame, and I already have one of them (Machinarium), so I will probably not be adding these to my Quest for Value. I notice, by the way, that the Humble Bundle now requires a minimum $5 instead of $1 in order to get the Steam keys. This makes me sad. Quintupling the price is not good value. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment